A proactive approach with realistic advice.
Harpst Becker knows a company’s most important asset is its employees — but these employees can also represent a huge liability if not managed in compliance with the infinite federal, state and local laws that regulate the workplace. Our team genuinely understands these challenges and provides real world solutions that management can actually utilize to manage compliance or resolve a specific employment-related legal problem.
When engaging employees, we understand each situation comes with different facts and circumstances. That’s why we help guide our clients through the regulatory challenges that come with employment decisions. Our lawyers offer a level of experience that goes beyond law firms and private practice. In fact, our team has members who have worked as human resource managers. Not only do we know how to maneuver through complicated employment matters, our lawyers understand the challenges of interacting with difficult employees.
We participate in industry trade associations, such as:
- The Ohio Bar Association Labor & Employment Section
- The Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM)
Our employment and labor lawyers are well-versed in the state and federal laws that govern employment, including:
- Discrimination and sexual harassment (Title VII and state law equivalents)
- Fair Labor Standards Act and Wage and Hour compliance
- FMLA. ADA and reasonable accommodation compliance
- Unemployment compensation
- Discipline and termination of employees
- Executive Severance Agreements
- Employment contracts, non-compete agreements and confidentiality agreements
- Trade secret and confidential information protection
Our services also include:
- Preparing employment and independent contractor agreements
- Developing written policies and handbooks
- Providing day-to-day advice regarding difficult employment issues
- Representing our clients in court
- Appearing before administrative agencies, such as:
- Unemployment hearings
Whether your business needs assistance with developing in-depth handbook policies, defending against a lawsuit or government action, or just a brief consultation regarding employee relations, our employment and labor legal team can assist you with all of your human resources needs.
When you operate a business, your employees are your biggest investment, but they can also be your biggest risk. Most lawyers lack business experience and can’t understand real-world problems managing employees. At Harpst Becker, however, we have business experience and understand the legal challenges that come with running a company and having employees.
Harpst Becker represents management interests only and provides advice and assistance on the following services:
- Employment practices
- New acquisitions
- Severance agreement
- Discrimination charges
- Trade secret protection and unfair competition
Harpst Becker employment lawyers know the law and possess an in-depth understanding of all business-related issues. Plus, if litigation results despite your best efforts, we are more than capable of advocating on your behalf.
With practical experience in employment and labor legal matters, Harpst Becker offers services involving:
- Preparation of employee non-compete agreements
- Non-disclosure agreements
- Independent contractor agreements
- Temporary employment agreements
- Any additional transactions involving those who work for or with our clients, either permanently or on a contract basis